Learn how to improve your mountain biking skills and improve your riding dramatically by following the “How to Master Mountain Biking” guide
If you are a beginner, by practising some of the following skills, will get you started. Try these mountain biking tips at a local park, school, bike path, or simply around your house. If you can, try to find a location with a steep hill.
Get a feel for your pedals
Practice moving your foot away from the pedal, first while sitting on your bike with one foot on the ground. Next, move on to releasing and replacing your foot while pedaling around for a bit. Those with toe clip and clipless type foot pedals will want to spend a bit more time practicing.
Sit and spin for position
Simply sit on your bike and pedal around. You should keep your arms slightly bent. You should also adjust your seat height so your leg is 70 to 90 percent extended at the bottom of every stroke on the pedal. Keep your body relaxed, as there will never be a position where you should have either your knees or your elbows locked.
You should spend a bit of time coasting while standing on your pedals, without actually sitting on the seat. Keep your arms bent but don’t lock your knees. Now, try experimenting with shifting your body towards the rear end of the bike.
Pedal while standing
You should get as comfortable as you can with pedaling while standing on your bike. Try lifting yourself off the seat while standing on the pedals, then crank them around. You should try this in higher gears on flat ground then again in lower gears while on a hill.
Once you have got some basics you’ll want to master more mountain bike skills.
To learn how to:
- Make hillclimbs easier
- How to fly down hills safely
- Be able to corner at speed
- Glide over tree roots and obstacles
- Gearing tricks
- How to brake correctly
- How to use gravity to thrust yourself around corners
- How to master wheelies, bunny hops and jumps
- The 4 Phase, Power-Pedaling Technique That Eliminates the Zero Torque Point
- Learn How To Use Your Bodyweight and Gravity to Seize Control of Your Bike
- What to look for when buying a bike
- How to get fit and stay fit the easy way
- How to maintain your bike and save money
and much more, check out “How to Master Mountain Biking” and see if it is right for you.